“Tis the Season to be jolly!” “Tis the Season to be careless too!” We get so wrapped up in the excitement of the celebrations, the Christmas music, the buzz at the Malls, people laden with gifts for their loved ones! A time for giving and a time for receiving. It really is the most wonderful time of the year for many! It can also be the most dangerous time of the year in terms of personal safety!
Many people tend to forget about their personal safety during the holiday season, as they become distracted and zone out due to all the festivities. The criminals know this and they are always looking for an opportunity! POWERHOUSE wants you to have a fun, happy and SAFE Holiday Season. Here are some SAFETY TIPS to reduce the chance of you becoming a victim!
It is important to be aware AT ALL TIMES!
– If possible, shop during daylight hours. If you do have to shop at night, park your vehicle in a well-lit area close to the entrance.
– Avoid carrying large sums of cash. If you do have to carry large sums, divide into several amounts and place them in different pockets.
– Hold your purse/bag close to your body, in front of you.
– Keep your personal items like money, credit cards and cell phones hidden.
– Do not make expensive purchases where lots of people can see, especially if the purchase is made with cash.
– If someone bumps into you, stay alert and back away from them. Be sure they do not follow you.
– Do not wear expensive jewelry when shopping.
– Avoid carrying too many bags in one go. If necessary, make several trips back to your car, keeping items out of sight. Then move car to a different parking spot.
Walk with confidence, looking around you AT ALL!
– On leaving the store/mall, have your car keys ready. Look around the parking lot. If it looks isolated and you are feeling nervous, get Mall Security to walk you to your car.
– As you approach your car, look under it and around it.
– Keep all your valuables out of sight and in the truck of your car.
– When placing bags in your car, look around you for anyone approaching. Move quickly.
– Be aware of anyone striking up a conversation with you when you are walking to your car.
– Always lock your car and roll up windows, even if just popping into the store for five minutes.
Use common sense AT ALL TIMES!
– Make sure you have locks on all doors and windows and remember to activate your home security system, if you have one.
– Ask a trusted neighbor, or close friend or family member to keep an eye on your home while you are away, including collecting your mail.
– Put lights on a timer to give the illusion that someone is home. It is a good idea to put a timer on a TV or radio too.
– If you are not driving your car on vacation, park your car in the usual way. If you are taking your car, ask a neighbor to park their car in your driveway.
– As excited as you are, DO NOT post on social media your plans to go away.
POWERHOUSE cares about your Safety and the Safety of your loved ones! Please share this blog with them and have a SAFE, FUN and MEMORABLE Holiday Season!